Friday, April 26, 2024

Chicago Airport: Story

 I run into an old friend. We did not see each other for some time. I ask how she is doing and how the family is doing. I ask how her mother is doing, which was always very nice and kind to me. This is the story my friend told me about her mom. He said that she hates the Chicago Airport because her mother fell down the escalator stairs and broke her hip. She got her to Baltimore, the city of her destination and stayed with her till full recovery. "I still have guilt," - she added. From my side, I said that I am really sorry to hear about her mother's accident. "It must be tough time for both of you. Don't be too hard on yourself, you were there for her when she needed you. That's what truly matters." 

"Well, I did few mistakes, but God wanted us to be together for each other." She stayed in the hospital with her, sleeping in the armchair in her room and, later, in the grandson's apartment in Baltimore. She learned to make needle shuts to avoid the blood clocks. I learned that she took an economical flight with two planes to change, and she did not have a proper luggage on wheels, just a large-size bag from the seventies. Her hands were busy, and she could not catch her mother's body under the pressure of the crowd coming up from the same escalator. I told her that it sounds like they both had some precious moments together, despite the circumstances. I insured her that she did her best out of a difficult situation and demonstrated a lot of strength and love. I put my hand around her and said: "Your dedication is really touching."

I totally get it! Traveling with multiply planes and managing luggage can be quite a challenge, especially when you have hands full. But hey, she made it work and that's what matters.

 When the school is over at the long summertime break the children as usual are home alone as parents have to work. What options do parents have? Perhaps they can sign up them for summer camp or take the two weeks of vacation to spend quality time with the children at the beach, with swimming activities. Children can play videogames, watch TV, listen to the music, and catch up on sleeping without looking at the clock. Also, every year, children bring the list of recommended books for summer reading for the book report to present on the first day of the new school year. As usual, this reading activity is not a priority, and could be waited for a rainy day or two when they cannot play in the great outdoors and have to stay inside. So, you can imagine how helpful it was for my friend to have her mother to come to visit her and to help with the children during the summertime.

No comments: