Friday, April 16, 2010

Book Review for M. Johnson's "This Book Is Overdue!"

I almost finished reading my new book on library science titled "This Book Is Overdue!" by Marilyn Johnson. The first chapters kept my imagination as my expectations for the book contest was high. It was a high interest for both fields of librarianship, the traditional house of books and the cyber virtual resources, from my side.
During the past forty years, I worked in the different areas of traditional libraries and admire the virtual libraries for their endless possibilities. I wanted more long - deserved credits for the librarian behind the desk for the all-knowing information and, simply, for the willingness to help people in the world of ignorance, selfishness and, sometimes, bad customer services.
The author, Marilyn Johnsons, likes libraries and librarians for their services, but the book is written from a patron perspective as an active user of information and endless library resources, as a way to thank people of our profession for incredible service and the excellence overall for the work ethics as cultural servants in our society and for keeping the planet on our shoulders and for trying "to save us all." This part of the book is interesting.
I think that my disappointment will be understand by librarians. Personally me, I do not care about avatar and the "reincarnation" characters that building libraries in the process of the games online.
Hopefully, a new book is somewhere on the way to tell the fascinated story in the wide range of career development and career exploration - the endless opportunities to work with books in print and e-books, and information literacy, and the incredible help provided to our library users.
Obviously, it is a good beginning in recognition our profession. One more point, it is remarkable that the new book came out in the time when we are celebrating the National Library Month. Happy Librarians Week, the Librarians' nation!

No comments: